Senior Platform Software Engineer
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
Type: Fixed Term Contract, Full Time
Location: Remote – US Home
The Senior Platform Engineer will be the Technical Lead for MethaneSAT Data Platform Back End. You will be critical in the design, build and implementation of the Data Platform processing, serving and storage infrastructure, having final say over many key aspects.
Working across several organizations, you will design and advocate for your ideas leveraging your communication and presentation skills. You will then deliver on those ideas by writing software using best practices and leading our engineering team to do the same.
The Senior Platform Software Engineer will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
This is a 3 year fixed term position.
- Collaborate effectively with varied stakeholders to determine the requirements for the Data Platform Backend
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively and leverage experience to determine most effective design and recommendations.
- Create an overall, workable design, complete with recommended technology and resource needs and effectively and persuasively present design and recommendations.
- Set technical direction with the team regarding code quality, best practices, development workflow, test strategy and test coverage
- Write software for critical, foundational aspects of the system yourself while delegating other systems to both senior and junior engineers on the team
- Conduct code reviews, bug bashes and design reviews with the team. Research new technologies and work through system issues and bug queue.
- Additional related responsibilities as needed.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience required. MS in Computer Science Preferred
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time
- 5 years professional software development experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope.
- Extensive Cloud experience required. Have contributed to multi-region, auto-scaling, container-based cloud infrastructures. Scientific processing preferred. Multi-cloud experience preferred.
- Significant Go, C++ or JVM-based language experience. Must be willing to learn/use Go.
- Working Knowledge of DevOps and SRE best practices strongly preferred.
- Experience designing or working in Event-driven architectures preferred
- Experience dealing with large datasets and large transaction volume
- Some Front-End development experience is a nice-to-have.
- Strong communication skills are a must. Presentation skill and experience preferred.
- Ability to translate complex science and technical information to non-scientists stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available;
- Ability to apply communication skills to persuade, influence, and lead others.
- Ability to lead and collaborate with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload;
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment;
- Respect for economic and cultural diversity and ability or experience working with diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated experience leading and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- A high degree of diplomacy to manage and influence key stakeholders, teams, and new, developing partnerships.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
MethaneSAT, LLC is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.