Senior Infrastructure Software Engineer
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
Type: Regular Full Time
Location: Remote – US
As a Senior Infrastructure Software Engineer on our team, you’ll work with fellow engineers, partners and stakeholders to design, automate and manage the deployments of both our Mission Operations and Processing Pipeline infrastructure. You will strive to understand user needs and engineering requirements, and utilize your expertise with Terraform, Linux and Cloud infrastructure, to design solutions that provide impact worldwide.
You will own the infrastructure configuration, services used and the deployment of Processing Platform and Mission Operations System environments, including environments for development and staging, used both internally and externally. You’ll also be responsible for the overall design, maintenance and expansion of our build infrastructure, all while looking for opportunities to create tools and processes to make the developer experience at MethaneSAT better.
The Sr. Infrastructure Software Engineer will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- Lead the design and development of deployment procedures of all MethaneSAT Data Platform infrastructure to cloud environments with Terraform and other tools as appropriate.
- Design robust, scalable cloud infrastructure, utilizing both cloud-native services and purpose-built components, gathering requirements from both our stakeholders and your fellow engineers.
- Create tools and documentation to make development easier for the team, our stakeholders and select partner organizations
- Design, build, maintain and troubleshoot our development, staging and build environments.
- Develop on-call procedures and playbooks and tools. Share on-call rotation with your fellow engineering team members.
- Explore and recommend related initiatives such as metrics, logging and load testing.
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively, leveraging experience and technical skills to build and execute against detailed roadmap and engineering plan-of-record.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or technical discipline preferred, or equivalent experience required.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time
- 3 to 5 years professional engineering experience in a DevOps or SRE (site reliability engineering) capacity with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope.
- Professional experience writing Terraform code, using Git for source code management and the Linux command line for server administration required.
- Professional, production experience deploying and managing cloud infrastructure required. Experience with managed Kubernetes (EKS, GKE, etc) strongly preferred.
- Scripting in Bash and familiarity writing and modifying Python code is required
- Previous professional experience as a software engineer is strongly preferred
- Basic networking experience required (e.g. subnets, NAT, firewall rules) required. More advanced networking experience (e.g. site-to-site VPN w/BGP) preferred.
- Ability to apply communication skills to convey ideas, results and lead others.
- Ability to translate complex technical information to non-technical stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to strategically and independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available;
- Ability to lead and collaborate with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload;
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment;
- Demonstrated experience leading and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience; experience with global stakeholders preferred.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
MethaneSAT LLC is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.