Senior Director, MethaneSAT Mission Systems
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
Type: Regular, Full Time
Location: San Francisco, Boston, Boulder, New York, Remote – US Home, San Francisco, Washington
The MethaneSAT Mission Systems are comprised of MethaneSAT mission operations command/control, mission planning, data processing, and communications capabilities. It will use Cloud services to provide the computing, data archiving and operational interfaces between these functions. These systems are under development by project team members to meet a Launch Readiness date of July of 2022. The command and control development and on-orbit commissioning operations are the responsibility of Ball Aerospace, the flight systems integration contractor. Post commissioning operations will be transitioned to the New Zealand located Mission Operations Center and team responsible for long term MethaneSAT Mission Operations. The mission planning tools, science data processing algorithms and software, and science data product operations is the responsibility of the Harvard based science team. MethaneSAT, LLC is responsible for providing the Cloud Service architecture and services as well as managing the end data products for the various user communities.
The Senior Director, MethaneSAT Mission Systems will be responsible to lead mission systems and operations development, to ensure operational readiness for launch, and to provide overall supervision of all aspects of mission operations. The Senior Director, MethaneSAT Mission Systems will report to MethaneSAT LLC Chief Executive, Dr. Steven Hamburg, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
The Senior Director, MethaneSAT Mission Systems will be responsible for the following:
- mission systems and operations meeting technical, schedule and cost goals
- minimize operational risks
- commissioning and long term operations meet EDF and external stakeholder mission goals
- continuous improvement to increase data return and reduce cost
- meet regulatory license, security and data protection requirements
- regular status communications to EDF executive leadership and to the MethaneSAT donor groups
- manage budget and resource allocation
To accomplish these, the Senior Director, MethaneSAT Mission Systems will provide the overall leadership for the mission systems development to include:
- Ensuring all teams understand and are working to a common set of requirements
- Ensuring development and validation of the commissioning operations and mission operations nominal and contingency plans
- Assessing progress of the individual mission systems, and where required, leading the resolution of requirements, interface and schedule problems
- Managing the development and successful execution of the integration, test, and launch readiness of the mission systems and operations
- Ensuring the successful transition from Ball Aerospace to NZ Mission Operations
- Ensuring operations readiness to support all phases of operations
Post MethaneSAT on-orbit commissioning the Senior Director, MethaneSAT Mission Systems role transitions to being responsible for:
- All mission operations and data products are generated safely and efficiently to meet mission goals
- All operations, data management and information exchanges meet MethaneSAT regulatory license requirements
- Improving scientific productivity and reducing operations costs
- Budgets and expenditures are understood and managed
- At least 12 years of scientific or earth remote sensing satellite systems engineering, system development and operations experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility
- At least 5 years in operations management
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Excellent communication skills
- An understanding of lean operations capabilities, requirements and risk management
- Engineering or technical degree
- Experience managing complex budgets
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team of internal and external stakeholders, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment.
- Respect for economic and cultural diversity and ability or experience working with diverse groups of people.
- A high degree of diplomacy to manage and influence key stakeholders, teams, and new, developing partnerships.
- Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship. MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship at this time.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.