Project Coordinator/Software Apprentice
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
Type: Fixed Term Contract, Full Time
Location: Remote – US, Austin, Boulder, Houston, Raleigh, San Francisco
MethaneSAT, LLC is seeking a Project Coordinator with coding ability who desires to break into the software development field. The Project Coordinator will split their time between administrative/operational responsibilities and supporting our engineering team by leveraging their coding experience. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for daily administrative and operational tasks, including meeting coordination, product research, information gathering and bill reconciliation in addition to helping with project management tasks. The Project Coordinator will also support technical tasks, involving creating solutions to automate (using code that they write) these responsibilities where possible and will receive mentorship, guidance and support from the software development team at MethaneSAT. The ideal candidate is a recent bootcamp graduate or returning student with strong organizational skills and previous experience working in a professional environment.
The Project Coordinator will report to MethaneSAT, LLC Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- In coordination with the software development team, technical and science partners, develop realistic and efficient timelines for key project milestones and manage process workflow for the materials required, working across departments, cultures, and time zones.
- Compose drafts and proofread and/or edit materials as well as internal communications, using the highest writing standards, utmost accuracy, and company style and messaging.
- Maintain timely and accurate information in our Salesforce database.
- Maintain cost projections for cloud and third-party services, as well as track and analyze various usage metrics and activities.
- Assist with product research and keep abreast of MethaneSAT’s priorities to help the team.
- Other administrative and operational tasks such as data entry; scheduling, attending, contract management support, and taking notes for internal meetings; scheduling supervisor and other team members’ meetings and travel and completing expense reports.
Engineering / Technical / Learning:
- Engineering: this position is expected to use the coding skills previously acquired and learn how to apply them in a professional software engineering capacity to produce tangible results for our mission. This position will be exposed to and learn best practices in engineering design and coding from our expert software team.
- Own the design development of various projects as assigned.This will include requirements gathering, design (creation, presentation, incorporating feedback and driving decision and consensus) as well as coding and deploying final solutions. Learn and use the same tools (version control, code review, build tools, test suites, programming languages, compute resources, etc.) as the software engineering team.
- Technical: Assist the software engineering team as needed, including automation of administrative tasks, product evaluations, implementing new development tools and enhancing our test suites across both the frontend and backend stacks.
- Learning: Integrate and collaborate with the engineering team. Attend and report on project status at engineering meetings. Learn and exhibit best practices and present findings and results.
- Recent education or training in programming, web development or computer science.
- 3 years professional work experience in a team environment (STEM/software engineering experience is NOT required).
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available.
- Ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) and collaborate with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience on various digital platforms.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Respect for economic and cultural diversity and ability or experience working with diverse groups of people.
- A high degree of diplomacy to manage and influence key stakeholders, teams, and new, developing partnership.
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment.
- Interest and experience in the space industry, methane science and policy, and/or climate change is preferred but not a requirement.
- Ability to work independently and as a strong team player, and to prioritize and handle diverse, simultaneous tasks under pressure.
- Ability to anticipate challenges before they arise and proactively problem-solve and address issues.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.