Mission Operations Sr. Manager
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
Type: Regular Full Time
Location: Remote – US, Austin, Boston, Boulder, New York, Raleigh, San Francisco, Washington
The Mission Operations Sr. Manager will work with our stakeholders, scientists, engineers, and partners to oversee the successful operation of the MethaneSAT spacecraft to enable delivery of scientifically accurate and impactful data products to a global audience. The MethaneSAT Mission Operations are comprised of the satellite command and control, health and safety monitoring, mission planning, and communications to operate the spacecraft in orbit. It will use cloud-based services to provide the computing, data archiving and operational interfaces between these functions. On-orbit commissioning operations are the responsibility of the flight systems integration contractor. Post commissioning operations will be transitioned to a New Zealand-based Mission Operations Center and team responsible for long-term MethaneSAT Mission Operations.
The Mission Operations Sr. Manager will own the day-to-day flight operations oversight, incorporating stakeholder needs, engineering assessments and analysis of system performance to manage the effective operation of the mission. Working across several organizations, both internal and external, you will strive to understand problems, build solutions and guide the MethaneSAT team to ensure efficient and safe flight operations.
This position will report directly to the Sr. Director, Mission Systems for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
The Mission Operations Sr. Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Managing MethaneSAT daily mission operations in alignment with EDF, MethaneSAT, LLC and external stakeholder mission goals and objectives.
- Collaborating effectively with internal and external stakeholders to determine the needs for mission operations activities and efficient performance and distill these into direction for the operations teams.
- Navigating differing needs and priorities while working closely with the Science Team, Operations Leads, EDF, MethaneSAT, LLC and other stakeholders to achieve timely delivery of MethaneSAT mission results.
- Participating in stakeholder engagements, including demonstrating our mission operations capabilities and presenting the planned operations schedule and roadmap in collaboration with the MethaneSAT team.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
To accomplish these, the Mission Operations Sr. Manager will provide the overall oversight for mission operations to include:
- Ensuring all teams are aligned and are working to a common set of objectives.
- Ensuring pre-launch development and validation of the nominal mission operations databases, procedures and contingency plans.
- Ensuring the resolution of testing, technical, and operational anomalies and issues.
- Ensuring the successful transition from flight systems integrator-led to New Zealand-led mission operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline, with an MS in a science or engineering discipline preferred.
- At least 8 years of scientific or earth remote sensing satellite systems engineering, system development and operations experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility.
- Past or current experience in satellite mission operations.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Excellent communication skills including presentation skills and experience is required.
- Ability to apply communication skills to persuade, influence, and lead others.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment.
- A high degree of diplomacy to manage and influence key stakeholders, teams, and new, developing partnerships.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
MethaneSAT, LLC is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.