Back-End Software Engineer
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
Type: Regular Full Time
Location: Remote – US, Austin, Boston, Boulder, New York, San Francisco, Washington
With current estimates at 3000 cores per day, the Data Platform will handle the constant stream of data it receives from MethaneSAT. The system will apply a series of algorithms to each scene capture that turn a raw stream of bytes into detailed insights. The system will handle automated and manual Q/C, reprioritization, scene reprocessing and the creation of processing metrics and logs for engineers and analysts. A flexible, multi-cloud solution is required that is fault tolerant, handles preemption of resources and extensible is essential for MethaneSAT to deliver timely and accurate information to regulators, policymakers and activists worldwide.
The Back-End Software Engineer will be critical in the design, build and implementation of the Data Platform processing, serving and storage infrastructure. Working across several organizations, the Back-End Software Engineer will design and write software using best practices that meets the needs and requirements of our Data Platform and our broader project goals.
The Back-End Software Engineer will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- Design and write software to further extend our Data Platform Backend, including complete sub-systems, new features, performance improvements as well as toolkits for our partners.
- Collaborate effectively with varied stakeholders to determine the requirements for the Data Platform Back-End features and components.
- Contribute to the engineering team regarding code quality, best practices, development workflow, test strategy and test coverage.
- Conduct code reviews, bug bashes and design reviews with the team. Research new technologies and work through system issues and bug queue.
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively and leverage experience to determine most effective design and recommendations.
- Additional related responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. BS in Computer Science or technical discipline preferred.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time.
- 3 years professional software development experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope.
- Extensive Cloud experience strongly-preferred. Scientific processing preferred. Multi-cloud experience preferred.
- Significant Go, C++ or JVM-based language experience. Must be willing to learn/use Go.
- Working Knowledge of DevOps and SRE best practices strongly preferred.
- Some Front-End development experience is preferred but not required.
- Strong communication skills and ability to present your ideas to internal stakeholders are a must.
- Ability to translate complex science and technical information to non-scientists stakeholders
- Ability to lead and collaborate with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Demonstrated ability to independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload;
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment;
- Respect for economic and cultural diversity and ability or experience working with diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
MethaneSAT, LLC is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.