Back-End Software Engineer
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
Type: Regular Full Time
Location: Remote – US
The Back-End Software Engineer will be critical in the design, build and implementation of the Data Platform processing, serving and storage infrastructure. Working across several organizations, the Back-End Software Engineer will design and write software using best practices that meets the needs and requirements of our Data Platform and our broader project goals.
The Back-End Software Engineer will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- Design and write software to further extend our Data Platform Backend, including algorithm implementations, complete sub-systems, new features, performance improvements as well as toolkits for our partners.
- Collaborate effectively with varied stakeholders to determine the requirements for the Data Platform Back-End features and components.
- Contribute to the engineering team regarding code quality, best practices, development workflow, test strategy and test coverage.
- Conduct code reviews, bug bashes and design reviews with the team. Research new technologies and work through system issues and bug queue.
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively and leverage experience to determine most effective design and recommendations.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; BS in Computer Science, Physics or Math preferred plus 6 years professional experience.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time.
- 3 years professional software development experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope.
- Algorithm development and/or Science data processing experience is strongly preferred.
- Extensive Cloud experience preferred.
- Significant Go, C++ or JVM-based language experience. Must be willing to learn/use Go.
- Strong communication skills and ability to present your ideas to internal stakeholders are a must.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to translate complex science and technical information to non-scientists stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and collaborate with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically and independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team in a fast-paced work environment, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
Please include a Cover Letter with your submission.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 110,000 – 124,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
MethaneSAT, LLC is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.